Friday, December 3, 2010

The Back Door Referendum: Part II

My first post on the "back door referendum" has provoked quite a few comments (I have declined to publish the comments to protect anonymity). Some concern has been raised that Minooka CCSD 201 may be considering a "back door referendum" in the near future. At this time, there is no cause for concern. My initial post on this subject was merely for informational purposes. To my knowledge, the Minooka CCSD 201 school board has not had any discussions about an imminent or proposed "back door referendum." If this issue arises in the future, I will publish a post on this blog. It will then be up to the voters to decide if they want to force the school board to put the question to the voters of the district in a subsequent election. According to Illinois law, petitions can not be circulated until a school board has voted on and approved a "back door referendum" and thereby started the 30 day time clock. Interested persons can, however, begin getting together and planning to gather signatures. With decent prior planning and the help of the internet and email, it would be relatively easy to gather the signatures of 10 percent of the registered voters of the district. The people who gathered signatures in the recent Palatine SD 15 case were able to gather hundreds more signatures than they needed.

I have also received a number of questions regarding bonds and school finance in general. In the near future, I will attempt to explain certain aspects of school finance. At the most recent school board convention (a couple of weeks ago), I attended a number of seminars, one of which was on the topic of school finance and issuance of school bonds. I will share what I learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment